Tuesday, September 27, 2005

No gratuity

I've never understood tipping. Apparently this website talks a little about how it all started, but it still doesn't really satisfy me.

Today's Chicago Tribune has a story on tipping that's interesting. Apparently, I'm not the only one confused with the whole gratuity thing:
As many as one-third of Americans are unclear on what amounts to a fair tip, according to Michael Lynn, professor of consumer and marketing behavior at Cornell University.
In the Midwest, there is a 15 percent to 20 percent tip range versus a 20 percent standard on the East Coast, according to Lynn. Restaurant patrons in the South give the lowest tips on average, according to Lynn.
The story goes on to say, "Start with an average tip of 15 percent to 20 percent and let your conscience be your guide"...which is what I've been doing, so I must be doing something right, although I accidently gave a cab driver a $10 tip on an $8 ride a month ago. So you can't call me a cheap bastard. Well, maybe you can. But I still don't like the concept of tipping.

There also another related story on when to tip and when not to tip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home