Monday, September 19, 2005

Busy Sunday

I started the day off rushing to Wrigleyville with the ladyfriend to try to buy scalped tickets to the Cardinals-Cubs game at Wrigley Field. We ended up getting these great seats at face value, which is almost underheard of. They might have been the best seats I've ever had at a baseball game, including the ladyfriend's dad's season tickets at Comiskey. I've always thought Wrigley Field looked like a dump from the outside, which it does. However, once inside, I understood why it's such a beloved stadium - it just oozes tradition. It looks small - much smaller than Comiskey - but the capacity is just around 1,000 less because of all the seats cramped next to and on top of each other.

There were lots of Cardinals fans there, and I had to support my team by wearing my new Cardinals cap. Unfortunatley, the Cubs won 7-4. But we're still in first place, bitches.

Drinking 16 oz's of Old Style and Bud Light on a near-empty stomach in the middle of a gorgeous afternoon will get you drunk and extremely tired. So, after the game when we left to go visit the ladyfriend's dad's high rise condo in the South Loop, I felt like I was going to pass I had another beer. But I managed to stay awake and hang out on the balcony, on the 15th floor, and enjoy the magnificant view of the skyline from the south.

After having dinner at the condo and then being dropped off at home, my mind and body were ready for bed. But I was a trooper, and I hopped on my new bike to go to the Empty Bottle to catch Lau Nau and other Finnish psych/folk/experimentalists. I missed Chicago's Davenport but managed to catch Kuupuu, Tomutonttu, and Islaja. They were all pretty great, especially the beautiful voice of Merja Kokkonen of Islaja. The funniest moment came when the Islaja's bass player put a battery-operated marching-in-place drumming rabbit by a mic on the floor as the percussion. The show started promptly at 9:30 - I got there by 10:00, and I sorta hoped that everybody would play a short set because I was dead tired and I had to get up early this morning for work. Islaja ended their set at 12:30, and I knew I would really really really regret it if I stayed up longer. So very unfortunately, I left and missed Lau Nau. This day at work has been excruciatingly difficult - my body and mind feel weak, and it's gonna be a chore driving up the Dan Ryan Expressway. Well, shit. Writing this entry in this stupid-ass blog killed some 30 minutes, and now I have 5 minutes before I get off work. Later, bitches.


Post a Comment

<< Home