Wednesday, November 03, 2004

This is horrible

Even though I felt in my heart for the past few months that Bush would win (despite Kerry beating him in the debates and other people's optimism that Kerry would win), it still feels like a shock to me that Bush actually won a second term.

I'm also surprised that, despite all the hype that this was the most important election of our lifetime and the high voter turnout, the proportion of young voters was small and the same as 2000. I think I saw on CNN that the proportions of all age groups were identical to 2000. Even with all the bullshit that has happened in the past four years, nothing really has changed at all when it's all said and done. I don't know if people are just stupid or if the Democratic party is run by a bunch of tools or what...probably all of the above. I just have a hard time fathoming someone like George W. Bush can not only win one term but a second one as well. But this is reality, and it's really depressing.

If there's any good news (for me at least), I live in a city that pretty much single-handedly carried Illinois on its back. About two million Cook County residents voted yesterday, and Kerry won easily 70-30. Many people have said that this country's fucked and that they should move to another country. Well, I pretty much live in another country here in Chicago, and this gives me further reason to settle up here permanently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home